The County of Volusia Tax Collector’s Office is seeking to fill a Motorist Services Specialist
position in multiple locations; DeLand, Daytona, Orange City, and New Smyrna Beach. The position
will be responsible for entry to advanced level clerical work and applicant testing requiring
considerable contact with the general public that involves the various combinations of services
provided by the Tax Collector. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Tax
Payer/Motorist Services Manager or Tax Payer/Motorist Services Administrators.
- This position is posted on a continuous basis and may close without notice.
(NOTE: The following duties are illustrative and not all inclusive. Omission of specific duties
does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or should be logically
assigned to the position.)
• Knowledge, understanding, and ability to apply appropriate policies and procedures
defined by Florida Statutes, Department of Revenue, local ordinances, Department of Highway Safety
and Motor Vehicles, Department of Agriculture, Department of Health and Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission as they relate to transactions processed by the Tax Collector’s Office.
• Ability to verify work product for accuracy and compliance.
• Ability to convey instructions either verbally or in writing as they relate to
transactions processed by the Tax Collector’s Office.
• Evaluate applications and applicants for licensure or permitting.
• Must be able to act as a cashier for large monetary transactions accept multiple
forms of payment (including debit, check and credit), provide basic math computations (with or
without calculator) and make change.
• Must be able to reconcile daily transactions and payments received.
• Conduct driver license road tests of adults and minors.
• May be assigned to other Tax Collector offices based on operational needs.
• Attends work on a regular and consistent basis.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED and (1) year of cashiering and
customer service experience.
• Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License
• Must meet and maintain qualifications to operate all government programs, software,
and data bases in order to perform job duties.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of the Tax Collector’s duties and responsibilities as set forth in the
Florida Constitution and Florida Statutes.
• Knowledge of the Tax Collector’s Office policies, procedures and practices.
• Ability to access, input, retrieve and safeguard confidential data using various
proprietary computer programs and applications.
• Ability to act with good judgment and flexibility as well as act decisively to
analyze and solve problems.
• Ability to prioritize and organize.
• Ability to interact with customers and co‐workers in a courteous and effective
• Ability to type 35 correct words per minute.
• Ability to correctly make mathematical computations using addition, subtraction,
multiplication and division.
• Ability to ride as a passenger in a car or light truck operated through a series of
specified maneuvers while evaluating and rating the driver’s skill to drive safely and in
accordance to Florida’s Traffic Laws, as well as, be able to drive cars, light trucks under 8000
pounds, and Tax Collector vehicles in a safe and legal manner.
• Ability to see and hear with or without correction.
• Ability to communicate both orally and in writing in the English language.
• Must be able to use hands to manipulate objects, tools or controls.
• Must be able to maneuver without assistance in an office environment, stand, walk,
sit, and reach with hands and arm.
• Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Must be able to maneuver in and out of applicant’s passenger vehicles and light
trucks without assistance.
• Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
• Must be able and willing to relocate to other locations based on operational needs.
Physical Demands: Light work. Extended standing, some walking, lifting and carrying up to 25
pounds. Able to reach, see, talk; finger dexterity.
Environmental Demands: Inside and Outside work.
Mental Demands: Ability to read and comprehend technical documents, instructions, rules,
guidelines and procedures; memos, letters, etc. Ability to write clearly and concisely relaying
information, details and data. Ability to speak to layman relaying information and
details. Ability to perform general mathematical functions.