The Orthopedic Clinic – Daytona Beach, FL
Live your life in full motion!
We are the leaders in the orthopedic community of East Central Florida, The Orthopedic Clinic has served our community since 1961. Our practice offers an array of services specializing in general orthopedics, spine care, sports reconstruction, adult reconstruction and non-surgical treatments and our goal is to get patients back to the life they love with high quality, individualized orthopedic care. We currently have ten Orthopedic Surgeons, one Interventional Pain Management Physician, Mid-Level Providers, and a Physical Therapy team who serve patients at four locations within Volusia and Flagler counties. We are seeking an experienced Surgery Scheduler to join our dynamic team.
This position will be responsible for the coordination of surgical care by serving as primary liaison between physicians, patients and internal/external customers both pre-operatively and post-operatively. This position will provide administrative support to the assigned physician(s) and mid-level provider(s), assuring that services are administered utilizing professional standards with a strong focus on quality, timely care and exceptional customer service. This role requires excellent communication and organizational skills and will be responsible for the coordination of surgical care by serving as primary liaison between physicians, and patients both pre-operatively and post-operatively.
Timely and accurately completes assigned tasks which include: triaging of incoming calls, working task logs, scheduling appointments (surgical procedures, pre-operative testing, physical therapy and imaging), and performing other administrative duties as assigned.
- Utilizes critical thinking skills in handling patient phone calls ensuring complete follow through and resolution. Seeks physician or mid-level guidance, as needed. Answers and handles calls in an efficient and friendly manner while insuring that all patient phone calls are returned prior to departing for the day.
- Coordinates all aspects of surgery scheduling to include pre-operative testing, cardiac/medical clearances, patient education, equipment needs and post-operative care. Works closely with the insurance department to ensure proper authorization is obtained.
- Verifies physician order for procedure and diagnosis to ensure all supporting documentation matches. Chooses the correct CPT and ICD-9 code when completing surgical forms.
- Identifies patient and family teaching needs and initiates intervention to meet needs based on the established programs of the involved physician’s medical plan of care. Considers culture and age-related factors in the care, treatment, education and evaluation of patients.
- Facilitates the coordination of care with outside referring physicians, ASC’s, hospitals, pharmacies, laboratory’s, physical therapy centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, imaging centers and supply vendors.
- Properly routes all diagnostic test results, medication requests and other pertinent patient information to the physician in a timely, accurate manner. Urgent results requiring immediate attention should be handled accordingly.
- Consistently documents all patient related communications within the EHR in an accurate, concise and timely manner so that all parties involved in the patients care can access. Utilizes patient cases to communication with providers relating to patient matters.
- Compiles and prepares all necessary surgical documentation, including: Clinical notes, consents, diagnostic test results/images, etc.. Looks ahead on the schedule identifying and addressing any issues that could affect the patients care.
- Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates physicians’ orders.
- Communicates closely with the physicians to insure consults, emergency room referral and admissions are handled properly. Shares in the responsibilities for creating, updating and distributing the in-house hospital rounds lists.
- Assists with maintaining updated standard operating procedures, standing orders, forms, flow charts and contact lists.
- Reviews and evaluates completed work at the end of each business day to ensure accurate, clear and thorough.
Strong knowledge base of medical terminology, medical abbreviations, medical allergies, medications, medical diagnosis’s, and surgical procedures
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and EHR software applications, preferably Athena
- Must be able to proficiently speak, read and write in English
- Ability to work with the physician and/or physician assistant in handling and resolving complex patient matters
- Ability to work under the direction of a physician, on a team and independently
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a variety of personalities and work styles
- Ability to consistently complete work in a professional, timely and accurate manner
- Ability to prioritize, manage and complete simultaneous tasks with frequent interruptions while paying close attention to the details
- Ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines and with a sense of urgency
- Ability to be flexible in schedule and adaptable to constant change
- Possess exceptional independent, critical thinking skills and ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Possess exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong relationships and effectively interact with staff at all levels both inside and outside the organization
- Possess exceptional communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
- Possess a strong desire to serve the physicians and our patients
- Minimum HS Diploma
- Valid Driver’s License / Clean Driving Record / Proof of auto insurance
Patient Access Specialist
Daytona Beach, FL • Human Resources
Live your life in full motion!
Join our Team to put the FUN in functionality!!
We are the leaders in the orthopedic community of East Central Florida, The Orthopedic Clinic has served our community since 1961. We get our patients back to the life they love with high quality, individualized orthopedic care. The Orthopedic Clinic is seeking an upbeat and energetic candidate that has previous call center or medical office experience to join our dynamic team as a Patient Access Specialist.
The Patient Access Specialist will work directly with our patients to create an exceptional patient experience, while ensuring accurate, efficient and effective scheduling procedures are followed. Our Patient Access Specialist are the first point of contact to our patients, outside physician practices, and vendor partners. This role requires exemplary customer service skills, problem solving, organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
We believe every patient should receive the best possible care, our practice offers an array of services specializing in general orthopedics, spine care, sports reconstruction, adult reconstruction and non-surgical treatments. We currently have eleven Orthopedic Surgeons, one Interventional Pain Management Physician, Mid-Level Providers, and a Physical Therapy team who serve patients at four locations within Volusia and Flagler counties.
What the Patient Access Specialist will do:
• Answers phones and handles calls in professional, efficient, and friendly manner.
• Accurately enters, add, and updates insurance information into athenaNet
• Performs initial insurance eligibility and verification
• Informs patient of financial policies and procedures
• Attempts to collect any outstanding balances and makes payment plan arrangements.
• Informs patients of any pre-appointment preparations, required documentation for appointment, arrival time, photo ID, insurance card, and list of medications.
• Handles calls from outside entities (Hospitals, Home Health Agencies, Laboratories, Pharmacies, Imaging Facilities, etc.) regarding the coordination of patient
• Obtains pertinent information for hospital consults, routes accordingly to on-call provider, and follows up to ensure consult has been completed
• Covers for other staff at the front desk as asked, including coverage at other locations
Experience and Abilities:
· Minimum of High School Diploma
· Previous call center and/or customer service experience, preferably in medical/healthcare setting
· Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, EHR software applications, preferably Athena
· Valid Driver’s License / Clean Driving Record/ Proof of auto insurance
Full compensation package for Full Time Positions to include: competitive salary, medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD. Life insurance, 401k, profit sharing, paid time off, continuing education reimbursement
The Orthopedic Clinic is an Equal Opportunity Employer and fully subscribe to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants and/or employees are considered for hire, promotion and job status, without regard to race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, age, sex (including sexual harassment, sexual orientation, and gender identity), disability or handicap, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran, or current or future military status or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
The Orthopedic Clinic is a drug free workplace all applicants under consideration for employment will be drug screened and background checked as part of the hiring process.